Abusive Debt Collection
Do you feel like you are being harassed by debt collectors who are forcing you to file bankruptcy? Is your voicemail full from collection agencies that have been calling you day and night? At the Liviakis Law Firm, we offer legal assistance to anyone who is a victim of abusive debt collection.
Protection against Debt CollectorsThe Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is a federal law that provides consumers with a means to protect themselves from abusive debt collection practices. There are several debts that are covered under this law, including medical bills, student loans, credit cards, utility bills, and more. When a collecting agency violates the terms of the FDCPA, they can be subject to a number of penalties.
If you are being illegally harassed, you could receive compensation. Many people do not realize their specific rights under this law. An attorney can help you to get the justice and the money that you deserve.
Illegal Debt Collector PracticesBecause of the FDCPA, there are many things that a debt collector is not allowed to do:
- Debt collectors are not allowed to call before the hours of 8 am or after 9 pm.
- It is illegal to say that they are law enforcement, or to say that they are a lawyer, if they are not.
- They are not allowed to call repeatedly during a small time period, or to let the phone ring for a long time.
- Debt collectors cannot call you at work if you have requested that they do not.
- They are not allowed to threaten to arrest you or threaten you with physical harm of any kind.
- It is against the law to threaten to garnish your wages or place a lien on your property unless they are actually within legal means to do so.
- They may not use abusive language or swear words while communicating.
- Debt collectors are not able to report false information on a consumer’s credit report, or threaten to do so.
- They are not allowed to further communicate with a consumer after receiving a written notice that the consumer does not wish any further communication, or refuses to pay the alleged debt.